Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I'm glad Teddy's not a puppy

I took Teddy to his obedience class last night. We had gone the previous 2 weeks, but those were special sessions with just the trainer. Last night was the first week that other dogs were supposed to be there. Only one other dog showed up, a 6 month old Bichon/Shih Tzu puppy. A very sweet dog, but it reminded me of all the reasons why I don't ever want to get a puppy again. The energy, the puppy ADD, the barking, and did I mention the energy? Yes, puppies are cute and cuddly, but they are also a lot of work. I got Ranger when he was 7 months old, and I remember being exhausted by his constant demands for play and attention. I remember thinking, 'how can I do this for the next 15 years?!' Don't get me wrong, I enjoy throwing the frisbee, or playing tug-of-war, but after 20-30 minutes, I'm done. But by the time he was around 2, he calmed down and was better able to entertain himself. For all of Teddy's issues, at least he is able to relax. He is good about getting Ranger to play with him, but if Ranger doesn't want to, Teddy will happily play with his squeaky toy by himself, or he'll find a bone to chew on. When he's bored with that, he jumps up on the couch and takes a nap.

Speaking of naps, he is now comfortable enough with me to rest against me while he sleeps! I remember early on he would sit as far away as he could from me, and while he may never be a lap dog the way Ranger is, at least he likes to be near me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about puppies. My dog Henry chewed every pair of green shoes I owned and my sister Laura's green shoes until he was three. I thought dogs were color blind. I'm glad Teddy now trusts and loves you -- unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete