Monday, April 20, 2009

Happy Easter

This past Sunday was Easter, and ever since I got Ranger, I have taken him to family get-togethers. My family loves Ranger, and they always include him in any invitation. But 2 dogs? That's a lot to ask of a host. But Teddy really needs to be socialized, and my mom said it was ok to bring him along for Easter dinner. I was a bit worried, because on Saturday I went over there to do some baking, and brought Teddy along. Ranger was at the groomer, so Teddy was by himself, and he turned into his scared self again. It was a huge shock - he paced around the house for an hour. His tail was always down. I gave him a treat to help him feel more comfortable, and he carried it in his mouth until it was soggy. He just couldn't relax enough to eat it. He ran away from anyone who approached him - even me! So I wasn't sure what to do for Easter. Would it stress Teddy out unnecessarily? Since I live fairly close to my parents, I decided to bring both dogs, and would just bring them home if it was too much for Teddy. But he surprised me. He ran into the house with Ranger, tail up, excited to see people, as long as they didn't try to pet him. He took treats from people, and actually ate them. He even sat with my brother-in-law and let him pet him for a long time! Turns out Teddy just needs his big brother with him, to show him that everything's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment