Thursday, March 12, 2009

The grass (or rawhide) is always greener

Like most dog owners, I have rawhides all over the house, but the only rawhide a dog wants is the one in the other dog's mouth. As I sit here, Teddy is chewing a rawhide, and Ranger is staring longingly at it. Every few minutes, he looks pleadingly at me, as if he is asking me to help him. I remind Ranger that there are 5 other rawhides in this room alone, but they are not as good as the one Teddy has. Ranger is smart, though, and he tries to distract Teddy by chewing on his ear or pulling his tail, but Teddy just ignores him. I refuse to get involved in these doggy disputes, mostly because I hate to touch slimy rawhides.

Another issue we are having is the sharing of toys. Ranger is fine with Teddy playing with his toys as long as Ranger himself isn't playing with them. But while Ranger likes having a brother, he does not want to share his toys with him. If Ranger is playing with his favorite toy, his cloth Frisbee, woe to Teddy if he tries to play with him. Ranger will growl and snap at him until Teddy leaves him alone. This has surprised me, because normally Ranger is an easy-going type of dog, and pretty meek, too. I know it's wrong, but I'm oddly proud that my 'baby' is growing up, and standing up for himself. Don't worry - Teddy gets his revenge. He eats Ranger's food!

No comments:

Post a Comment