Wednesday, March 25, 2009

First steps to obedience

I took Teddy to his first obedience class last night. Turns out he was the only dog that signed up for the class! Normally they would just cancel the class, but the trainer agreed to stay since I showed up, and when she saw how much work needs to be done with him, she volunteered to still have class for a few weeks with just Teddy.

Teddy did as well as I thought he would - after 1 hour, he still wouldn't lie down, or stay, or come when called. He was very shy around Susan, the trainer, and we spent most of the time just trying to get Teddy used to being around her. Luckily Teddy is very food motivated, so he would gradually get closer to her whenever she offered food. Without food, however, all bets are off. I know this makes me sound petty, but it made me feel a little better that Susan didn't any more success than I have had with Teddy.

It's been a lesson in patience. I was spoiled with Ranger, who is a smart dog, and learned commands very quickly. With Teddy, I have to take my time, and build each command slowly. I have to force myself to be patient and not push him, or else we will take 2 steps back. Somehow I think with Teddy, it may always be 1 step forward, 2 steps back! But I keep telling myself that in the end, it will all be worthwhile.

2 comments:

  1. The rest of your friends who have imperfect dogs appreciate your honesty, Lisa. It was hard comparing our canines to the perfect pet. Now I feel better.

    ReplyDelete